Spay and Neuter for Dogs and Cats in Studio City
Did you recently bring home a new puppy or kitten? If so, congratulations on the new addition to your family! We know you want to help your new companion get started on the right paw, and our team does, too. That’s why we recommend that you consider spaying/neutering them if you haven’t already. Dog and cat spaying and neutering are two of the most important preventive surgeries that pets will ever need. For many pets, it’s the only surgery they’ll need.
As an AAHA-accredited practice, we abide by strict guidelines when it comes to our surgical services. This includes our anesthesia, pain management, and equipment protocols, so you can be confident that your pet will be in good hands.
Talk with our veterinarians to schedule your cat or dog’s neuter or spay surgery. Call us at 818-762-3111.
Spay and Neuter Benefits
- Spaying can reduce your pet’s risk of developing mammary tumors and uterine infections.
- Spaying will eliminate heat cycles and all of the associated undesirable behaviors.
- Neutering can reduce your pet’s risk of developing testicular and prostate cancer.
- Neutering can reduce or eliminate your pet’s desire to roam, spray/mark, and behave aggressively.
- Spaying and neutering can improve your pet’s overall health.
- Spaying and neutering will reduce the pet overpopulation.
When to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
The exact age recommendation varies for each pet and is dependent on breed. However, typically, we recommend spaying/neutering no earlier than 8 weeks of age and no later than 6 months of age, for best results.
Possible Weight Gain After Spay or Neuter
Some pets do gain weight after being spayed/neutered, due to a decrease in metabolism. The good news is that you can prevent this by feeding your pet a healthy diet, monitoring their caloric intake, and creating exercise opportunities. If you have a dog, try to walk them daily or at least a few times a week. If you have a cat, create opportunities for them to be active in the house, such as with interactive toys and towers for vertical climbing space. Or, if you’re lucky enough to have a leash-trained cat, take them for a walk!
Additional Information About Dog and Cat Spaying and Neutering
Visit the Humane Society of the United States of America’s page on spaying and neutering, or give our Studio City team a call at (818) 762-3111.